Benefits of switching to gingelly oil for cooking
1. Keeps the heart healthy: Gingelly oil has a compound called sesamol. Sesamol is an anti-oxidant and an anti-inflammatory agent and is extremely good for a healthy heart as it prevents the formation of fatty deposits in the arteries. Gingelly oil is also loaded with magnesium which is an important mineral for keeping hypertension in control. Gingelly oil is known to reduce LDL cholesterol or bad cholesterol and increase the level of HDL cholesterol or good cholesterol.
2. Prevents diabetes: Gingelly oil has been known to be very effective in combatting diabetes. Not only does it lower the glucose in the blood and hypertension in diabetics, it also improves the effects of the drugs taken to control diabetes.
3. Has anti-carcinogenic properties: An anti-cancer compound called sesamin is present in good quantity in gingelly oil making it a very good oil to take to prevent cancer. It stops the growth of cancer cells and is particularly effective against cancers affecting the colon, prostrate and the ovaries. Magnesium, present in gingelly oil, has been known to be very effective in decreasing the risk of colorectal cancers.
4. Protects against cell damage from radiation: The antioxidant sesamol is known to protect cells from the effect of radiation. Further studies are on, and it has shown encouraging results where damage to the intestines and spleen due to treatment with radiation may be prevented.
5. Boosts bone health: Gingelly oil contains zinc which is known to promote good bone health and boost bone mineral density. Zinc deficiency leads to osteoporosis or brittle bones in the hip and spine. Gingelly oil contains a good amount of calcium, a mineral which is essential for bone health.
6. Provides relief in rheumatoid arthritis: Copper, present in gingelly oil, helps in the functioning of anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant enzyme systems which greatly reduces the pain and discomfort of arthritis. Copper also strengthens the blood vessels, joints and bones.
7. Improves intestinal health: Anti-inflammatory properties of gingelly oil helps to control conditions of the alimentary canal such as Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS), Ulcerative Colitis and Crohn’s disease.
Benefits of gingelly oil in external applications
8. Boosts hair health: Gingelly oil has multiple benefits when used as a hair oil. It prevents the premature greying of hair. Since it also has hair darkening properties, it will even darken the hair when used regularly. It prevents damage due to exposure to the sun and pollution. It is used to treat dandruff and dry scalp. It is very good as a deep conditioner for hair and revitalises hair that is damaged due to stress. Gingelly oil prevents hair loss as well. To get the best results in hair care from gingelly oil, use it mixed with almond oil. An equal amount of both gingelly and almond oil mixed together and applied to the hair and a hot towel treatment afterwards will keep the hair thick and shining with health. This may be done thrice a week for best results.
9. Excellent for skincare: Gingelly oil is extremely good as a skincare solution for various skin problems as well as for maintaining healthy skin. It penetrates the lower layers of the skin very easily and provides deep moisturising to the skin. It reduces wrinkles and fine lines due to age or exposure and prevents sunburn and damage to skin due to UV rays. As a massage oil, its benefits are notable. Gingelly oil attracts and dissolves oil soluble toxins better than other oils. So, when it is applied to the skin the toxins on our skin, present due to pollution and exposure to sun and dust etc. and internal toxins released through the skin readily dissolve in the oil and can be washed off. It also improves blood circulation making the skin perform its functions better.
10. Improves oral health: Traditionally, gingelly oil has long been used for oil pulling. Oil pulling is the act of swishing a mouthful of oil inside the mouth for a few minutes before spitting it out and rinsing. Oil pulling is generally done before brushing in the morning. It helps in reducing plaque in teeth and getting rid of bacteria and fungi in the oral cavity. Oil pulling with gingelly oil improves teeth and gum health.
The benefits of gingelly oil are innumerable and proven over time. In fact, gingelly oil has always formed the base of most of the oil based Ayurvedic medicines. It surely makes a very good case for switching at least partially to gingelly oil for most of our daily uses.
Caution: People who suffer from food allergies, and especially, those who are allergic to nuts of any kind should avoid the consumption of sesame seeds or gingelly oil as it can trigger the allergic reactions