If you want to gain weight, then it is very important that you do it right. Binging on junk or fried foods may help weight gain, but it can destroy your health at the same time.
If you are underweight, then you want to gain a balanced amount of muscle mass and subcutaneous fat, not a bunch of unhealthy belly fat. Therefore, it is absolutely essential that you still eat healthy foods and live an overall healthy lifestyle.
Tips for Healthy Weight gain:
1. Eat more calories than your body burns: A caloric surplus (calories in > calories out) is needed. Aim for 300-500 calories per day above your maintenance level.
2. Eat lots of Proteins: Protein forms the building blocks of your muscles. Eating sufficient protein is required to gain muscle weight instead of just fat i.e aim for 0.8-1 grams of protein per kg of body weight. High Protein foods include meats, fish, eggs, dairy products, legumes, nuts.
3. Eat Lots of Carbohydrates and Fats: In order to gain weight, eat small frequent meals at regular intervals. Restricting carbohydrates and fats in meals will make it harder to get enough of calories.
4. Eat Lot of Energy Dense foods: These are foods that contain higher calories relative to their weight. Here are some energy-dense foods that are perfect for gaining weight.
- Nuts: Almonds, walnuts, peanuts
- Dried fruit: Raisins, dates, prunes, Apricots.
- High-fat dairy: Whole milk, curd, cheese, paneer
- Grains: Whole grains like oats, Quinoa, brown rice
- Non-veg foods: whole Eggs, Chicken, lamb, fish.
- Tubers: Potato, sweet potato, yam.
- Fruits: Banana, Mangoes, Chikoo, custard apple, jackfruit
5. Lifts weights to improve strength: You want to go from skinny to muscular, not from skinny to chubby. More strength is more muscle.
- Free Weights. Force you to stabilize the weight and allow for natural motions. Start light, focus on technique and add weight progressively.
- Compound Exercises. Do exercises that work your whole body Overhead Press, Bench Press, Pull-ups, Squats
6. Consult Nutritionist/Dietician: to figure out how many calories you need for weight gain.
7. Do not drink water before meals: This can fill your stomach and make it harder to get in enough calories.
8. Use bigger plates: Definitely use large plates if you are trying to get in more calories, as smaller plates cause people to automatically eat less.
9. Get quality sleep: Sleeping properly is very important for muscle growth.
10. Don’t smoke: Smokers tend to weigh less than non-smokers, and quitting smoking often leads to weight gain.
If you have a fast metabolism and want to bulk up, changing the way you eat and exercise can help in weight gain more quickly. Men can gain weight fast by consuming large meals packed with nutrient-rich foods and focusing on strength training, rather than cardio, to build up muscle mass. In order to stay healthy, avoid weight gain by junk food and inactivity.
“Changing your weight is a marathon, not a sprint”.
It can take a long time, and you need to be consistent if you want to succeed in the long run. For effective results on a personalised weight gain diet plan, consult an expert at GrowFit.